Tuesday 26 April 2011

Celebrating Hume's Tercentenary

Today marks 300 years since the birth of seminal philosophy, David Hume. Hume is widely considered to be one of the most influential and significant philosophers to ever write in the English language. He was at the forefront of the 'British Empiricism' movement and a promenant figure in the Scottish Enlightenment. Immanuel Kant once said, with reference to Hume, he "awoke me from my dogmatic slumber".

Living in the city Hume conducted most of his work and lived most of his life I decided to celebrate his 300th birthday by going on my own private Hume tour in sunny Edinburgh.

I began at the statue of David Hume which sits at pride of place on the Royal Mile:


Next I went to see the new Hume exhibition at the Scottish Writer's Museum next to Edinburgh Castle. The exhibition opened today and included first editions of his works as well as letters he wrote. Unfortunately I arrived whilst the press where viewing it and had to wait outside for nearly an hour. This is the outside of the building, no photography allowed inside:


After visiting the exhibit I walked to the Old Carlton Burial Site and went to the impressive grave of David Hume. It was quiet but very interesting to see, in a beautiful part of the city. Here I am there:


Note the morose look I have, not due to genuine sadness but because the French woman who took my photo (and had never heard of David Hume) thought it was insensitive to take a photo of someone's grave. I thought a smile might make it look even more insensitive!

Finally I took a photo of an interesting epitaph written on the monument:




It reads:

Behold I Come Quickly
Thanks be to GOD which
Giveth us the victory through
the Lord JESUS CHRIST

Quite interesting to see a man who was notoriously critical of religion (to the point he was blocked from becoming philosophy chair of the University of Edinburgh) to have such an overtly religious message on his grave site. Indeed, shortly after his death had his Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion published in which he argues extensively against the existence of God.

It was nice to enjoy the weather and visit memorials to David Hume. It is exciting that such an influential philosopher lived and worked in my city.

My one regret is I found out that there has been a commemorative Ale called 'Enlightenment' which is brewed in honour of David Hume. It even features his picture on the beer mats and logo. Unfortunately I found this out after I got home, but there is a pub on the Royal Mile that is selling it.

I think by the end of the week I shall have to get a real taste of Hume!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitor Map

Locations of Site Visitors