Friday 22 April 2011

The Haar Is Coming!

This is the view from my flat's window. Instead of the normal view of the impressive Fettes College (Tony Blair's School don't you know, the Eton of the North) all I can see is the start of some trees and an incoming gray mist, looking like it is preparing to swallow my fair city whole.

'Haar' is a Scottish Term for the sea mist which envelops towns and cities near the coast. Because of this it always reminds me of the sea, and as depressing as grey clouds can be, there is something romantic and almost pretty about the incoming haar. I think it may just remind me of living in Aberdeen when I was young.

Unfortunately the picture does not show the haar properly. The greyish building at the front of the photo is slightly shrouded in mist in reality, yet in this picture it looks pretty clear. Tomorrow I might post a normal picture of the view so you can see how much of it is being obscured.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitor Map

Locations of Site Visitors