Sunday 26 September 2010

Grand Final Scotland Style

So yesterday was the last saturday in September, which to fans of Australian Rules Football means one thing; Grand Final day. The AFL Grand Final is the most important game on the footy calendar, it decides who wins the league and who takes the flag. This year an epic battle for footy supremacy was in order as St Kilda and Collingwood qualified to battle at the 100,000 capacity MCG. As a St Kilda supporter this game meant something. As a resident of Scotland however, it meant getting up at 4am to catch the game. Here is my photo diary of Grand Final day!




First picture, I was up and ready with my Saints gear, looking outside at pitch blackness. It truly was the middle of the night.


photo.php.jpg


Ready for the trip to the pub. Streets deserted but I'm excited, ready to see the Grand Final against Collingwood!


photo.php.jpg


First beer: 5am and I'm sitting there with a beer for breakfast. It's OK, the Grand Final only comes round once a year...


photo.php.jpg


Half time: Game isn't going so well, behind after a pretty dismal quarter. I retained confidence...the beer helped! Nice to see a packed pub at 7am.


photo.php.jpg


It was a draw! My dismayed and confused reaction, I have to come back next week.


photo.php.jpg


People I watched the game with. Three Saints supporters and one bloke going for the Pies.


photo.php.jpg


Now for pub number two to watch the game again. Pretend I don't know the score and watch to try and figure out how it was a draw!


photo.php.jpg


This is me trying to be creative, The Grand final on the TV with Edinburgh Castle in the background.


photo.php.jpg


Another pub full of people watching the Grand Final.


photo.php.jpg


Confirmation! Grand Final Part Two: This Time It's Personal. I think Stephen Milne may argue that it already way.


photo.php.jpg


A couple of Sainters who watched the game twice as well...I say a couple of Sainters, one actually went for Brisbane.


photo.php.jpg


11pm, a number of hours after leaving the pub and I am absolutely shattered, stopped by a mates flatwarming, still in my Saints Gear.

Met up with a Nintendo 64 controller and sipped my final beer.


photo.php.jpg


Back where I started, dark once again as it approached midnight.



It was a really enjoyable day, not sure what to make of it though, a draw! In the Grand Final! Watching it from Scotland was interesting, it's not often

it's acceptable to drink at five in the morning, but god it was good. All this sets up for next week to do it all over again. Next time there will be facepaint!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitor Map

Locations of Site Visitors