Monday 1 August 2016

ZC Skyward Sword: The Beginning

Of all the Zelda games I don't think there is one which has such a full and enjoyable opening sequence as Skyward Sword. Being introduced to Zelda early on there is genuine warmth between the characters and their friendship feels real. Zelda is a childhood friend of Link's, and is not a Princess. This equal social status allows them to have this bond and the first inklings of romantic feelings between Link and Zelda.

Starting the new game I was instantly struck by the lush impressionist art style of the landscape. It works fantastically and holds up against HD graphics of current and contemporary rivals. The grainy views of the distance make sense with this unique graphical style. It also creates an impression of it being distant yet warm. It made me feel like the game was taking place long in the past, which in the Timeline it is.  My first introduction to Skyward Sword's Zelda was fantastic, she teased Link for his laziness and it created a lasting impression of friendship. Later in the game, when Zelda got lost, I felt genuine sadness and wanted to save her. This isn't Mario trying to save a distant and un-relatable Princess Toadstool, this is your friend who is in danger and you are the only one who can save her.

Exploring Skyloft, the island in the sky, was a joy to behold as well. The characters feel real and rich. Skyloft is probably the single most in depth town in the Zelda universe. There is so much to explore and so many new and familiar characters. The greatest, naturally, is Groose. He is the jock who loves Zelda and is jealous of your bond with her. He also has the slickest pompadour in Skyloft.

There's a lot about Skyward Sword I'm not a huge fan of, but the opening part of the game I think is fantastic and is probably the best of any in the series. It takes the best elements from other two I like the most, A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time. Ocarina had the storyline and the chance to explore Kokiri Forest. A Link to the Past was straight into the action. With Skyward Sword there is an element of both. Which brings me to the final, and most enjoyable aspect of my playtime on this save so far: My Loftwing. The giant birds that Skyloft's residents fly through the sky. The motion controls may be often criticised, but they worked perfectly for me. Flying on the loftwing is great fun and the race against Groose and the rest was fantastic. It's the closest I'll ever get to being a Seeker on a Quiditch pitch.

All in all, so far, brilliant. I remember why I loved this game so much when I first played it. I have just arrived at the Sealed Grounds and my next post will likely detail the first temple, but I will finish this with the theme from the true star of Skyloft:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitor Map

Locations of Site Visitors